Memphis According to Mitchell


I've often been asked where to eat when you visit Memphis, so I thought I would put together a quick guide. Memphians support local restaurants and there is more to Memphis than BBQ, Beale and Elvis; you can go to Applebee's at home. #Choose901

Did you know that "Memphis" is in more songs than any other city - some 1200+ so far? Check out the ever-changing list from Memphis' Rock n Soul Museum.

BBQ

In Memphis you have to eat BBQ. Everyone has their favorite. Here's my day one:

Central BBQ - 1/2 order of BBQ Nachos on house potato chips. Choose your favorite meat (pulled pork or chicken for me). The easiest location to visit is Summer Ave, but all three locations (I have been to) are great. There is a 4th location and they are expanding. They ship domestically with FedEx and I've even had it shipped to NYC.

Other must haves: The BBQ Shop, Tops

Pizza

Rock'n Dough Pizza - The Spinning Goat is probably my favorite, but I also like to get pizza by the slice. My favorite location is actually the one in Jackson, TN.

Memphis Pizza Cafe - I love to get a calzone when I'm there.

Fine Dining

The Majestic Grille - Chelsea and I really like eating here, plus my cousin works there!

Restaurant Iris - This is not a place to go on a whim. It is very hard to get a reservation and it is Memphis' finest dining. Expect to pay for that experience. Tony Parker (San Antonio Spurs) made Memphis headlines when he attempted to show up without a reservation and he was turned away. Chelsea and I really want to try this restaurant eventually.

Chicken

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken - This is a Memphis staple and locals are very proud of it.

Everyone has their favorite wings spot. I've never been one to eat many wings, but Honey Gold is king in Memphis. Just ask a local where to get the best wings.

Burger

Huey's - This was where we always went when I was in high school. I love Huey's even if it's more about the dive atmosphere and less about the food. They feature live local music and are charitable to St. Jude. It is very common to see toothpicks on the ceiling - a fundraising tool.

Dyer's - They've been around since 1912. "Burger's cooked in 100-year-old grease" - Roadside America

Belly Acres - Winner of Choose901's 2015 Burger Bracket Challenge

Other

Mempops - Delicious, handmade popsicles
Wiseacre Brewery
Memphis Made Brewing

Attractions

Some touristy things that aren't too touristy or Graceland. What local has been to Graceland?

National Civil Rights Museum
STAX Museum
Rock n Soul Museum
Mud Island River Park
Pink Palace
Children's Museum of Memphis
Memphis Zoo
Playhouse on the Square, Circuit Playhouse, Hattiloo Theatre
The Orpheum
Shelby Farms Park Conservancy
St. Jude Children's Hospital
FedEx Forum - #GnG
Beale Street is fun, but Overton Square is more chill
Crosstown Concourse

Shopping

Oak Court Mall
Wolfchase Mall
Shops of Saddle Creek
The Shops at Carriage Crossing
IKEA (Memphis got one before Nashville)

Memphis Resources:

choose901.com
ilovememphisblog.com
overtonsquare.com/

I'll tweak this from time to time, while I listen to "Memphis Lives in Me" :

Comments

  1. All good choices, Mitch! I still miss the Cozy Corner for their bbq'd game hens. And Fino's for their great sandwiches. And Gus's chicken. Now you've got me hungry and needing to plan a trip back to Memphis!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gus's is the best fried chicken in the entire country. My favorite barbecue is the BBQ Shop, but Central is very good. Honestly, you have to intentionally be looking to find bad Que in Memphis. And Dyer's is sorta like Graceland. You should go once just to say you've been, but there are much, much better places to enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] moving to New York City, I wanted to get a new phone number. I really wanted to take a piece of Memphis with me, so I decided to get a 901 number again. Easy right? Well I had to go and make it more […]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment